“A robot has an accuracy and precision that we can never achieve with navigation or manual instruments. So, we’re going to continue to develop new software applications, provide surgeons more information on the patient, and that surgeon will be able to assess the patient intraoperatively. And then, with the robot, be able to execute a preparation, with an accuracy that we never could before.”- Robert Cohen VP of Global R&D, Chief Technology Officer at Stryker Joint Replacement
Robert discusses how Stryker got into the robotics business and how robots are replacing the instruments set and adding benefit to the implants already on the market.
He explains that robots have accuracy and precision never provided before to deliver surgeons more information on the patient and to optimize a procedure to try and gain the best clinical outcomes possible and improve patient satisfaction.
Robert gives insight into how big the robotics surgery market is right now and discusses that the future of surgical robotics will be obtaining digital information and using that information for individualized medicine.
“So that’s the next evolution is how do you change the workflow of the surgical procedure and total hips and total knees. That hasn’t really changed in over 50 years. Now we have a tool that’s for the change. And then let’s go one step further. … We can make medical implants in completely different configurations, with different tolerances different surfaces, things that could have a shape that conventional manufacturing processes could never make”
Today’s Podcast Topics:
- What are some of the current applications of Robotic systems?
- Robotic advancements that will have an impact in transforming healthcare
- Future of surgical robotics integrating navigation, enhanced imaging, and data analytics
- Will surgical robotics evolve to being remote telesurgery systems?
- Data integration from robotic surgeries is immensely valuable in the ability to help create consistent execution of surgical procedures, how hospital systems can ensure this clinical success
- What advice would you provide to people who are entering Med Tech industry?
Links and Resources Mentioned in this Podcast:
Did you enjoy this episode? Click here to Leave a Review. Each review helps us grow the Avenu Community and bring more guests to you! Thank you.